Fertility Fact: An AMH level greater than 1 suggests a good ovarian reserve.

What is Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH)?

anti-mullerian hormone (amh) can help predict ovarian reserveAnti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) is a hormone produced by the cells that support the dormant pool of eggs in the ovaries. Therefore, a higher level of AMH suggests a larger pool of eggs (or a greater ovarian reserve). “This is a very useful test for us because it doesn’t tend to fluctuate as much as FSH levels and it gives us another angle to assess the ovarian reserve. As it pertains to an individual’s fertility, the higher the level, the better,” says Dr. Joseph Doyle. AMH levels are determined through a blood test and unlike other hormones, levels do not vary significantly through the menstrual cycle. This means that you can check it on any day of the cycle and it doesn’t tend to vary from cycle to cycle like FSH levels can.

Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH): Part of an Initial Fertility Evaluation

Anti-Mullerian Hormone is now a part of the initial fertility evaluation along with:

• Ultrasound of ovaries to determine antral follicle count (AFC).
  • Bloodwork to evaluate hormones: follicle stimulating hormone (FSH), estradiol, and luteinizing hormone (LH).
  • Hysterosalpingogram (HSG) to check for any blockages of the fallopian tubes.
  • Semen analysis to test quality of sperm in the male partner.

These tests along with your medical, reproductive and family histories will help your fertility specialist determine the treatment best suited for you.

What is good ovarian reserve vs. decreased ovarian reserve?

Ovarian reserve testing is an indirect measure of the quality and number of oocytes. The ovarian reserve naturally decreases as women age. Each woman is different in where there ovarian reserve starts and the rate of change that occurs. This is partially genetically predetermined.

Good ovarian reserve would mean that you have a high number of oocytes with good function, while poor ovarian reserve would mean you have a lower number of oocytes with decreased function.

The most important modifying factor of ovarian reserve is age.  Decreased ovarian reserve in a younger patient (<35 years of age) is not necessarily the same as decreased ovarian reserve in an older patient. A younger woman may have decreased ovarian reserve and though the number of eggs present may be decreased, because of her age, the egg quality may still be high.  Age in combination with an assessment of ovarian reserve and the other elements of your fertility evaluation will determine your treatment path.

For more information or to schedule an appointment with one of our physicians, please speak with one of our New Patient Liaisons by calling 877-971-7755.

This entry was posted in Age & Fertility, Fertility Facts, General Infertility and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Fertility Facts: Anti-Mullerian Hormone (AMH) can help predict your ovarian reserve.

1. monika says:

hi doctor
    i want to know is there any problem to conceive a baby with low AMH
    (1.72ng/ml). what will be the noremal range for 30years old women.what is the
    best diet for maintain AMH level.
    waiting for your reply.
    Monika

• Shady Grove Fertility says:

Hi Monika – We like to see the AMH is at or above 1.0ng/ml, so you should feel pretty confident at a number closer to 2. As for the diet, there is no best diet for your AMH level, simply maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet.
      If you have any other questions, I encourage you to call 1-877-971-7755 to speak with our New Patient Center. They are there to assist you with any questions you may have.

• Elizabeth says:

What are the options for a woman with an AMH of 0.16. I’ll be 39 in 3 months. I’ve already made my first appointment with SGF, but my appointment isn’t for a month. I took the test when I was on the pill. I’ve been off the pill for a month now. I’m interested in doing anything to have a baby using my egg and my husband’s sperm. Thank you.

• Shady Grove Fertility says:

Hi Elizabeth – Our goal is the same as yours, to have you conceive with your own eggs. As for your AMH, .16ng/ml is low, but AMH is just one factor. Your physician is going to be looking at several other hormones, checking to make sure your tubes are clear, etc.
          I hope all goes well at your consultation.

• Elly Ramirez says:

Im turning 38 this year , with one failed IVF, and i just found out that my AMH is 0.17 ng/ml. Il be having my appointment with my OB in 2days

We are in the same situation with high hopes of getting pregnant… I hope we could share and compare are treatment.

2. Pingback: Diagnostic Tests for Fertility | Shady Grove Fertility

3. Pingback: Low Calorie Diet: Mindy's Weight Loss Journey

4. Linda says:

Hi I just turned 46, and my AMH is .52 FSH 13, estradiol wnl. I had one ovary removed last year. What is my prognosis for having more children at my age? I just had a miscarriage two months ago that ended at 8 weeks gestation.

• dr suresh kothari says:

Dear linda
      u have fair chance of conceiving
      with ov.induction using gonadotrophin
      followed by ivf.only thing u have very high chance
      of chromosomal anomaly at this age.probably ur.miscarraige
      may be related to it, still other correctable
      causes should be shoght for immediately & corrected before next preg..

5. Linda says:

One more thing I need to add, we need to use our own eggs and sperm.

6. Christina says:

What would cause AMH to fluctuate? Obviously I know different laboratories give different results / ranges but are there other causes. My AMH is high at 14.5 but I do not have PCOS. A year ago it was running at 7-8.

7. Sai Geetha says:

Hi my age is 29 having PCOS, with normal ranges of FSH Prolactine. TSH levels are 5.88 and my AMH levels are 9.5.

I want know what about my fertiliy chances with AMH levels arround 9.5, could you please explain me about AMH levels

8. Nicole says:

I am curious to find out the reliability between fsh and amh. My FSH was 10.1 and 9.7 my amh 3.97 and I have 25+ follicles on each baseline u/s. I don’t understand why they do not correlate and what they each mean. I am 29 and used to be a social smoker so my fear Is that even though I have a lot of eggs, they are not of good quality.

9. ashley says:

Hello. I am 26, and trying to have my 1st baby. My levels were 4.4. Is this 2 low?

10. Amanda says:

I’m 25 years old and my AMH level is 0.7, my FSH level is 14.7, and my LH level is 4.9. I had these tests taken on the 2nd day of my period. I had a full panel of blood work done because for about 2 years I’ve had irregular periods and some be only a week or 2 apart. Can someone please help me with explaining this and why my levels are where they are?

11. Jay says:

Hi Dr,

Good day!!!!

I request your attention and early revert to my below queries numbered for easy reading.

i am an Indian female aged 37, looking for a child.

1. I have my blood sugar levels above 200 & i was suggested dimet 850 for a month., before was taking glycomet 500.

i usually get regular menstruation 29 days cycle and after having dimet 850 , I have not got my periods yet .. is that a side effect or chance of being conceived.

2. my other tests – amh – is optimal.

Pls advise me whether i have a change for becoming pregnant naturally, normal or need to undergo some treatment like IUI or IVF.

awaiting your revert to decide.

12. muntaha says:

I am 41 years amh is 1.79 .I sufferered from frequnt abortion

13. carrie says:

Hi.
    I am 41. my FSH is 7 and my AMH is 5.7 I had a miscarriage at 25 and then two healthy pregnancies. With each pregnancy I got pregnant in the first month after discontinuing birth control pills. I am wondering if it is better to try to conceive naturally or with IVF. It may sound like a dumb question. I am also wondering if my numbers are any indicator of egg quality or just of how well they would respond to stimulation. I am obviously very concerned about birth or chromosomal defects at my age. thanks in advance.

14. chandrika says:

Hello Doctor,
    My AMH count is 1.45. I am in early 30′s. I had laprosocpic surgery for endometriosis. Had one IUI cycle with Clomid. But, no result. They all didn’t work on me.

Do you suggest me to go for ovarain stimulation medicines such as follistim , gonadotrophin or clomid with IUI.

Thanks,
    Chandrika

15. Ana says:

Hi! My 3rd day hormonal test results were as follows: E2- 38.58 FSH 5.3 LH 1.6, AMH 2.049 ng/ml. My ‎thyroid hormone levels were: TSH 2.48, T4 1.23 and T3 3.57. I am 41 years old, and trying for my first. ‎BMI 35. What are my chances of getting pregnant with my own eggs? What can I do to improve my ‎chances and egg quality? Shall I go directly for IVF/ICSI or shall I still try on my own?‎
    Thank you for your help and advice!‎