Fertility Facts: Sperm Regeneration

sperm takes 74 days to matureThe sperm regeneration cycle takes about 74 days.

It is generally known that most men produce millions of new sperm every day. However, you might not know that these new sperm take about 2 ½ – 3 months to fully mature or that when sperm are initially formed they lack the ability to swim forward or fertilize an egg.

Sperm are living cells within the male body and are subject to whatever conditions the rest of the body is exposed to throughout their maturation cycle. Extreme temperatures, smoking, drug use and poor diet can all impact the quality of sperm. For this reason, men looking to increase the chances of conception may make lifestyle changes. It is important to keep in mind that healthy sperm will not be ready to fertilize an egg until the new batch of sperm, developed under the healthier conditions, is mature. Meaning, after making a lifestyle change, it is recommended to wait about 3 months before trying to conceive.

When considering conception, it is also important to try to find the best sperm available to reach and fertilize the egg. In this effort, it is recommended that men abstain from ejaculating for 2 to 3 days. Men that are ejaculating more often show signs of a decreased sperm count. This rule goes for couples who are trying to conceive on their own as well as men that are producing a semen sample for fertility treatments, such as IUI or IVF.

This entry was posted in Fertility Facts, Male Factor and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Fertility Facts: Sperm Regeneration

1. Pingback: Fertility Facts: Smoking and Male Infertility | Shady Grove Fertility

2. Pingback: Fertility Facts: High alcohol intake may delay pregnancy

3. Stan says:

Please is it possible to know when the produced sperms are matured? Or how can the life cycle be calculated?

4. Shady Grove Fertility says:

Hi Stan – The sperm mature at the end of this process, approximately 2.5-3 months. Life cycle has been calculated during studies where trauma and other variables done. You can see that sperm produced after the event would no longer show signs of the trauma.

5. Nicole says:

Hello! My husband had a second vasectomy reversal done in June. The first reversal was performed in 2010 and was successful at first. 6months post surgery pulled vas apart on the left and scarred over on the right leaving us unable to conceive. We had our first SA done in August and the count was extremely low, 1.2 million. Thankful to be blessed with a count, but hopeful for stronger numbers and that the vas does not pull apart and scar over again. Is this normal as far as a count goes post reversal? Or should we be concerned? Thanks!

• FFJr says:

I was disappointed with the same occurrence. Three months post reversal, a SC came out normal at 30mil… 6 Months after trying to conceive I went for a 2nd SA and Z E R O… :( I’m on Anti Inflammatory meds now and praying it was a scar tissue problem and that the meds open me back up. Very disappointing

6. kashif says:

in how much days all mature sperm eliminates from body??

7. hameed rehman says:

i am suffering from all imotile sperms. Doctor is giving me anti inflamatory med due to renal infection. Before taking med, my right testicle was swelling. Now its ok. Sperm count is increasing but no single sperm moving. What is the reason. My last sperm count was
    1st 16 mil per ml 5 percent motile
    2nd 35 mil per ml zero motile
    3rd 39 mil per ml zero motile

8. Vincent says:

Attention, I mustabates like three times a day.is there any chance of impregnating women when am ready
    right now am 22 and wanna marry at 28.

9. Pingback: Lifestyle Changes to Improve Sperm Count and FertilityShady Grove Fertility | Insider's Guide to Fertility

10. Stella says:

Always take vitamin E and C (1000mg) everyday to improve your sperm count and motility

11. Alhassan Sanusi says:

I was someone who used to have sex very frequently and now I have my semen very watery and light from the normal semen. I am scared of what might the problem. Could lead to low sperm counts or make me infertile. Could this also means that my sperm bank is empty. Am confused here so please help me out. Thanks.

12. sam says:

its cmmn to all

13. Some Wise Guy says:

“Extreme temperatures, smoking, drug use and poor diet can all impact the quality of sperm.”

As i remember, under this exact condition, my sperm fertilized an egg many many many times..

14. Prince Boadu says:

After 3 years of masturbation in the teenage,can a man still have a woman conceived?

• Shady Grove Fertility says:

Of course – masturbation is completely normal and should have no impact on one’s ability to conceive with your partner.

15. Kunle says:

Pls, i need a clarification. You said said it takes 2.5-3 months for sperms to mature. Does that mean sperms must mature before it can ejaculated out. In other words, is all ejaculated sperms matured?

• Shady Grove Fertility says:

Hi Kunle – Yes, all sperm remain in the epididymis for this time to mature. That isn’t to say all ejaculated sperm are normal and can produce a healthy pregnancy. But taking steps to improve lifestyle can go a long way to increasing the volume and proportion of normal mature sperm that are ejaculated.

16. Cindy las vegas says:

Yes my boyfriend had not had an erection in 8 years he can use a pump and rings to maintain an erection but he has also not produced any semen in the last 8 years is it possible to start producing semen again he is type 1 diabetic and he did just have a kidney transplant

17. Tmoney says:

Hi,i was diagnosed with no sperm count about a month,my wife and I have een hoping to conceive and bear children,is there a way that i can treat myself and produce sperm cells,what kind of drugs can you prescribe for sperm cell production.

18. Chris says:

After having intercourse earlyer in the day I a 27 year old male went to have intercourse again I reached climax but no fluids came out I’m trying to figure out approximately how long it should take for my body to start ejaculating fluids again because me and my wonderful girlfriend are trying to conceive and this has me terribly worried please help also what if any illegal narcotics can cause this becUae I smoke lots of pot please help me figure this out before I go even further off the deep end thank u any and all who have advice that is valid

19. Pingback: 11 Sperm Facts Every Woman Should Know | Skinny U

20. Pingback: 11 Sperm Facts Every Woman Should Know | 1 Page Diet

21. Pingback: 11 Sperm Facts Every Woman Should Know | HealthyLyfe

22. Pingback: 11 Sperm Facts Every Woman Should Know - The Fitness Wire

23. Wayne says:

Okay so it takes sperm approximately 74 days to mature. What I’m not getting is that am I supposed to wait that long? Because other articles state that after a week with no ejaculation, it can affect sperm motility. And it takes approximately 36 hours for a man to replenish sperm after ejaculation. So if I’m having sex every 36 hours, how does that give my sperm a chance to mature.

• Shady Grove Fertility says:

Hi Wayne – Great question.
      You certainly don’t have to abstain from intercourse for 74 days! The sperm maturation is a process. In the body, at the same time, you will have immature sperm that are brand new that will gradually mature over the next couple of months as well as fully mature sperm. The idea would be to abstain for a few days (based on your doctors recommendation) to build up enough mature sperm in your ejaculate to determine a sperm count and motility. In the case of intercourse or ejaculating to use for fertility treatment, the goal is to get enough mature sperm in the sample to increase the chances of fertilization.
      Hope this clarifies things!

24. Taiwo says:

Thanks Shady Grove.

I have been following your responses. Correct me if I understand your reply to Waynes enquiries as “ejaculation or frequent sex within the 74 days window for sperm to mature will not affect the process”.

Also I hear zinc supplements or foods high in zinc like Oysters are the way to go to improve quality, motility and mobility of these swimmers.

25. Nia says:

My husband took a sperm analysis which resulted in a low sperm count, can he improve his sperm count by taking Selenium and prenatal vitamins?